Saturday, March 21, 2009

My mind is sometimes a scary, scary place

I was driving along, listening to some tunes, when I asked myself this question:


"Who invented cake?"


Did they do it on purpose? I mean don't get me wrong, I love the stuff... I'm just wondering who came up with it. Was the final product what they intended it to be, or was it a happy accident?


So I decided to do some investigative work and this is what I found. I don't remember the website, or I would list it...



The origins of Cake started back over 2000 years ago.The exact date is unknown because it undetermined what ingredients would make up a real cake. Some of the earliest cakes were made from combinations of flour, honey, nuts, eggs, milk, and others flavorings. Soon after these early cakes were baked, fruit was added. Four is the main ingredient that first made cakes possible.


The earliest word for cake was "plakous" which came for the Greeks. The word came from the Greek word "flat". Next when the Greeks would make a larger heavy cake they named it "satura". Archaeologists have discovered in Neolithic villages simple cakes were made from crushed grains, then moistened and cooked. These early cakes were likely oat or corn cakes.


In the 1900s, cakes began to be much more complicated. More forms of flour and processed flours, along with leavening agents (for rise) made cakes what they are today. Of course, there are now easier methods of baking or not baking cakes, all made possible by boxed cake mix. Thanks to boxed cake mix, anyone can now easily conjure up extravagant cake recipes. Even cake making utensils have come far and make baking a cake as easy and baking a cake.


For some time, the words bread and cake were close in meaning and interchangeable in their use. The words bread and cake come from the Greek and English influence. When people of wealth would make bread with all the finest ingredients, then they would call it a cake.




Just in case you cared....

9 comments:

tammy said...

Mmmmm......cake.....

Kristina P. said...

What are you trying to do to me?!?!? I am in a cakeless house!!

Unknown said...

You're not weird at all. I often have wondered who was the first person courageous enough to eat a turnip--and how did they know it was cooked right, since nothing you can do to a turnip improves the taste.

Erin said...

Bread and cake were interchangeable? What kind of a crazy society was this??? In my house, I love both of them, but believe me, they are NOTHING alike.

pcb said...

Which leads to the next question - who was the genius who thought to add frosting on top? My motto around here is "anything is better with frosting on it!".

I hope this means the blogging break is over? Or do we have to wait till April 15th?

Sharon said...

Wow! That was...ummm...interesting. ;-)

Sarah's Nonsense said...

That's good to know. Although I beg to differ. I think the actual date the cake was invented was when Kari first made her chocolate cake. Yummy. Is there another cake out there even worth eating after that? Btw, what's Pancake Gurl?

Jenni said...

I'd like to know who came up with frosting. I'd like to give that individual a hug.

tiburon said...

Now I want cake.

Thanks for that.