Friday, May 29, 2009

And I thought Pancake Gurl was my most devilish diva...

Apparently she's not.






Read on and you'll see what I mean.

I got a call from my great friend Penny today. She has the pleasure of playing with Livi while I'm at work. Really, Penny is the only reason I agreed to go to work when Mikey's boss asked me to.... If I had to put Liv in a daycare I would have turned the offer down. As it turns out, she gets to be cared for by someone who has loved her before she was born. That is a great blessing. Anyway, Penny called me today and told me that she really thought there was something wrong with Livi. She stopped breathing. She passed out. Her mouth turned blueish red. Then, after a couple of minutes, she was alert and happy again. Penny was freaking out. To her credit- she was extremely calm when she called me. So I took her to the doctor so they could make sure everything was OK...

This was the diagnosis:

"Breath-holding Spells" are brief periods when young children stop breathing for up to 1 minute. These spells often cause a child to pass out (lose consciousness). Breath-holding spells usually occur when a young child is angry, frustrated, in pain, or afraid. The spell is a reflex. It's usually not a deliberate behavior on the child's part.

Yeah. Right.

I'm not buying into the last part. Don't you be fooled. It's all about the temper, baby.

Cyanotic breath-holding spells, the most common type, usually occur in response to anger or frustration. See? I told you.



There is no medical treatment for breath-holding spells, unless a doctor determines that a health problem, such as a heart irregularity, is the cause. Nope... Just pretty much a bad temper.


Help protect your child from injury during a spell by laying him or her on the floor and keeping the arms, legs, and head from hitting anything hard or sharp. DUH. I. AM. NOT. AN. IDIOT.


You can help decrease the chance of breath-holding spells by making sure your child gets plenty of rest, helping him or her feel secure, and helping minimize and manage his or her frustration.

Oh, ok! I'll just make sure she never gets mad again. Ever. Thanks for clearing that up.


I am thinking Penny needs a special treat for the hell that my sweet, angelic, precious, princess has put her through today. She thought Livi was dying. She wasn't. She was just really pissed off. And... no one really knows why. While we were at the doctor, however, I had them giver her some shots she was lacking and she passed out again. I was kinda glad that I was in the doctors' office the first time I witnessed it. The doctor came back in and checked her out just to make sure there wasn't anything she missed in the initial evaluation.



To make matters worse, I have heard my entire life (that's 25 years, mind you) from my mother that when I was little, I would get so angry that I would literally hold my breath until I passed out. Naturally, it freaked her out so she took me to the doctor. He said to just make sure she held my hand on the way down so I didn't hit my head on anything.

It was pure temper. Weird, considering the fact that I'm so low-key and mild mannered.

My first inclination was to hide this from my mother so as not to hear the whole "Payback is Hell" speech for the 6,876th time. But then I remembered that I had to tell her because Livi is going to be staying with her this summer. Crap.



She was actually not too bad about it. There was a bit of gloating, but that is totally to be expected. I'm proud of her, to be honest. Thanks Mom!

Anyway... long story short.... I think that Pancake Gurl just might not be my biggest problem at this point.

I need prayers.


Lots and lots of prayers.

9 comments:

tammy said...

So that whole thing I said the other day about taking Livi with you when you run away? Maybe not so much now.

Girl you are in for it!

Unknown said...

My daughter did this, too, when she was about 3. Only a handful of times. We got the same diagnosis. I hesitate to tell you that the last time she did this, she went into a convulsion. It was at a church social and luckily there was a nurse present or I would have freaked out. She never did it again after that time. I also don't really want to tell you she is (at almost 30) my most difficult child. Good luck!

Kristina P. said...

Oh, how scary! Prayers coming your way!

Krista Darrach said...

Wow....hang in there...sounds scary...but I know you can handle it. Of course!

pcb said...

Cory's little sister did this when she was little too - and she still has a bad temper, it doesn't go away.

MsTypo said...

*eek* That would admittedly scare the bejezus otu of me!

I hope Penny's ok and not too freaked out still. Poor kid. :(

Sharon said...

I'm glad she didn't do that when she was at my house! I would have totally FREAKED! How scary!

Dang kids! ;-)

Penny said...

Just so you all know I am still freaked out. I thought I killed her and I was going to have to deal with the wrath of Nana. I would spank the little Drama Queen, but she would just pass out again and scare the poopie out of me. So, instead, I am going to spoil her until she is the biggest brat ever. Good luck, World. We will all need it!

tiburon said...

Eeek! The next few years could be rough!